"This space is not about 'desks' – it's about a place where people who care about their community can come together to contribute. It's about people who want to make an impact to other people's lives. It's about bringing people together from different disciplines (from science and art to tech and design) to encourage collaboration and new business building. Its long-term sustainability will hinge on getting people who have shared values about Geelong's creative potential. People who access the space would participate, promote and develop the program of events and activities together."
Jennifer Cromarty, President, Creative Geelong Inc
The Creative Geelong Makerspace in the Mall is a range of spaces to be housed in Centrepoint Arcdae the Little Malop Street Mall and will include:
- MakerSpace with 3D printers, laser etchers, small electronics, industrial sewing machines and other 'maker' equipment for use via a paid subscription model
- WorkSpace for Co-working desks for rent daily, weekly, monthly that will target professional services tenants (media, PR, architects, marketers, designers) to support the rental needs of the premises and provide administration, strategic advice and coordination to the creative industries hub
- ArtSpace - a studio / workshop for artists and artist groups who have a focus on inclusion and art for social engagement
- LearnSpace - larger areas for events and workshops/programs to be held.
The space supports commercial and not for profit organisations and individual makers and creators with the shared aim to cultivate an emerging ecosystem that promotes Geelong's future as a creative city, as well as to revitalise the Mall and encourage more foot traffic to activate Central Geelong.
By placing all of these elements together in one space, it will provide an energy and sustainability to the creative industries precinct and encourage collaboration among industry, stakeholders (especially youth and those who are disadvantaged), networks, government and community. This project also has the potential to create a pipeline for new ideas and start-ups to further support the local entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Co-working and MakerSpaces are also part of the City of Greater Geelong's Digital Geelong strategy, aimed at supporting and developing a vibrant and engaged 'Maker' and 'Creator' community.
Centrepoint Arcade is ideally located between Little Malop St and Ryrie Streets and offers several linked spaces to commence the project with room to expand in the coming months. This space has potential to become a significant creative hub with low cost rental space on offer for creative businesses to expand into.
The Creative Geelong Makers Hub project serves multiple purposes:
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT – SOCIAL EQUITY
- Encourage locals to meet, work and create in a co-working / makerspace that is inclusive, accessible and inspiring to support innovation, collaboration and new ideas in the creative industries (art/tech/science/design/media)
- Collaborate with local groups already established in the creative sector to find synergies that can deliver further 'maker' growth for Geelong
- Provide outreach programs and advice to young people in the Geelong community interested in the creative industries as a career path
- Support job growth in the new economy and training opportunities for young people in the Geelong community in the creative industries
- Support community development and greater inclusion of CALD groups, older people, people with disabilities in the digital and creative economy through workshops, accessible spaces and programs
CBD REVITILISATION – A SAFE, ACCESSIBLE CREATIVE SPACE
- Activating building/s and space for visual artists to collaborate and exhibit works on a day to day basis – extending out into the Centrepoint Atrium and Little Malop Street Mall area. May include temporary street art, sculptures and social engagement activities via art
- Makers and creators participating, promoting and developing a program of events and activities both inside the building and onto the Mall area – bringing a creative 'buzz' to the Little Malop Street mall enticing foot traffic to explore the area
- Supporting the creation of a street art precinct in Union St supported by a range of tenants including the Union St Wine Bar and Ms Bartronica – growing from Minns Lane, McLarty Place and other laneways in Little Malop St
- Join up the growing 'feet on the street' from the Little Malop Street precinct between Gheringhap, Moorabool and Yarra Streets to provide an inducement to cross the road into Little Malop Street mall area
CREATIVE INDUSTRIES PROGRAMS, POLICIES & RESEARCH
- Provide a focal point for the establishment of a creative industries sector in the G21 region for strategic thinking, planning and project development
- Demonstrate the strength of creative industries and opportunities in the future of work to the Geelong community
- Support a range of programs and workshops to further develop the creative industries sector
For more information please contact email@example.com and make a time to meet at the Makers Hub!